Macy - Fayetteville, New York

I believe that family is one of the most important aspects in life. From your family, you find out your true self and who you are as a person.

My parents have taught me everything I know. Especially my mom. My mom and I have been through everything together. And until I was 4, it was just us. From the experiences mom my and I had together, we became more than just mother and daughter; she was like my best friend.

My sister, Mara, is 6 years younger than me, so we really don’t get along that much. But it’s not like we hate each other or plot vicious attacks. We do love each other, and becoming a big sister was a huge responsibility.

My family and I are all pretty close. We do a lot of things together, and really enjoy each others company. But there are days when we get upset, and just need to be alone for a while. But last year, our family went insane. We were fighting almost everyday about the dumbest things, either the cat wasn’t fed, or the laundry wasn’t done. But our schedules were so busy; we didn’t have time to do our regular chores, or even to spend time with each other. My mom just started a new job and my dad started his own business, so it was very stressful.

But one day, we all flipped. We were yelling all day at each other and just freaking out! Because of our busy schedules, we forgot to make time for each other. After that day of endless fighting, we didn’t talk to each other for nearly a week. Until my birthday, April 16, 2007. It’s a day that will go down in history. Most may not remember, but the day of my birthday was also the day of the largest mass killing at Virginia Tech University.

That day, was the Monday that everyone was supposed to go back to school, after spring break. But instead, we decided to have a snow day. I relaxed all day, getting a few birthday wishes here and there from some of my friends.

I went on the internet at about noon, and on the home page it read, “Virginia Tech Shooting”. My heart dropped, and all I could think about was my cousin Erin, a junior at Virginia Tech University. I screamed for my dad and I saw his eyes read the title over and over again. He reached for his phone and instantly called my uncle. After a few minutes, he hung up, and with a sigh of relief, he told my mom, my sister and I, that our cousin was fine.

That was the first day in a while that we had all been together in the same room and had a civil conversation. And I didn’t even care that they forgot my birthday. We were so worried about our family that we stopped everything to make sure everyone was safe.

Family is the most important thing in my life, and that day made me realize how many people take family for granted.