Thomas - St. Louis, Missouri

Change is something that happens all around us. Fall turns to Winter, Winter turns to Spring, Spring turns to Summer. It is a never-ending rotation of life and death. Change happens in our daily lives as well; however, it is not always beneficial. For example, a close friend could have to move out of town. As humans, it is our nature to thrive and consume. In some cases, we consume natural resources. This harms everything around us. As our natural resources run dry, so does our innocence. At a certain age, we all realize that Santa is not real, the Easter bunny does not leave us eggs, and our teeth; well who knows what our parents really do with them. Our perception of the world changes, and too often, that happens much too frequently. Yes, change is something that must happen, but it is by no means a good thing.

When a loved one leaves, a piece of you goes with them. On December, 23rd 2007 a piece of me will be gone. My best friend, Jay Anthony Fett, is moving to Iowa. Jay always talked about moving, but I never really listened. He had said he was moving in the summer, but it never happened and I figured this was just another false alarm. His father recently returned home from Iraq and had to find work elsewhere. A job was offered in Iowa and he took it. Jay and I knew and shared everything about each other. Yes, change happens, but it is not a good thing.

Just as we change, so does our environment. Like a bottomless pit, we change and morph our environment to fuel our need for self-indulgence. Our fossil fuels will soon run out and our economy will go dry. Oil consumption, for example, is a widely controversial topic. The bottom line on all of it is that we are running out of oil and soon we will need to find an alternative. But once we use that resource we are still in the same boat, stuck with no way to fuel the world we have created. We have changed so much; it will eventually lead to our inevitable downfall.

Change can turn your world upside down. When you lose a friend, its one of the worst feelings you could imagine. When we lose our innocence at a young age, change is behind it. When the world turns upside down because of the inability to fuel our economy, change will be behind it. For all the good that comes out of change, there is even bad that comes out of it.