GABRIELLE - potomac, Maryland

A lonely and sad man walked by a playground swarming with little children. His wrinkly cheeks slightly moved up and down as he muttered unhappy thoughts to himself. While looking down at the pavement, he saw a little hand tug at the end of his coat. To his right side, there stood a little boy with a very unique expression on his face. That innocent little face was smiling. His smile consisted of a few missing front teeth, lips that stretched from ear to the other, and eyes that could not even be seen because his smile was so big. That smile was the one little thing that would brighten this mans day. This lonely and sad man did not have to feel discomforted anymore because with that smile. With that smile he realized that there is some good in this world and no way should he have to dwell on the little clouds that were keeping him from his sunny day anymore. A simple smile can go much further than you may think.

Smiling is a universal language. By seeing a person’s facial expressions, you can see how a person is feeling or even what they’re going through. Someone could be having a bad day because they had lost their job or got demoted. We all face rough times and could have a hard time finding the bright side of it, but to every bad situation there is good as well. We will all face hard times and those bright sunny days may seem distant. We can get through anything if we just have hope, faith, and belief that the next day will be better. It is up to you to be a bright light in a dark world and to simply smile in order to light up someone else’s day or even yours.

I try my best to frequently smile because it makes me feel more positive about any situation I’m going through. I have heard people say that it takes more muscle work in your face to frown than to smile. Why should I have to strain my facial muscles any more than they should?