Jessie - El Paso, Texas

I believe everybody needs a helping hand sometimes. I learned that from my father.

For the past 30 years, my father has led his life serving his community, and for about ten years I’ve been a part of that. As a child, my father taught me about the importance of helping others. Growing up, I never really understood why it was important, but as I grew older, I realized that that would be one of my greatest passions in life.

The last organization my father and I volunteered for was called Christmas in April. It is where people of the community come together to help the elderly and people with low income rebuild their homes. The house we ended up at was a very old, very dirty house that hadn’t been cleaned in fifteen years. It was owned by a very old woman and her son who, by the way, only spoke Spanish. I was a little sad to hear this because I don’t speak any Spanish, and I would have liked to communicate with and get to know these people.

Our day consisted of scrubbing and painting walls and ceilings, removing carpeting, sweeping fifteen years of dust, and cleaning the kitchen. We had some very challenging tasks to complete which lasted all day.

But it’s completing the task that makes everything worthwhile. A sense that I am making a difference in the lives of these people. What really touched me was when the old lady and her son bid my father and I farewell. They remembered my name, well, sort of. They both said “Bye Daisy from Australia.” Somehow when I introduced myself they heard wrong. That didn’t matter to me though because the point was that they remembered, which showed me that when I helped them, and when I’m giving out my help to people, I really do hold a place in their hearts and I really am making a difference. They didn’t even speak English.

I truly believe there are three things that hold this world together, three things that revolve around my life. Love, compassion, and kindness. I believe that we are all linked together through these emotions. I know that I can’t pass along these things to everybody, but that’s the beauty of giving. I don’t need to give to everybody. I think that when I am giving, it is also being spread around by the people I give it to. I know that sometime in the lives of the people I’ve helped, they too passed along their generosity to others. That is what makes us one. That is what makes the world go round.

Giving out my help to others is what makes me happy. That is my passion in life and I will continue to live by it as I grow older. No matter how rich, poor, or smart you are, everybody needs a helping hand soetimes, and I’ll be here to help.