Mandy - Richmond, Kentucky

I believe that imperfection is inevitable. No one is perfect, and we all know that. As I was growing up, I would constantly strive for perfection, to never make a mistake. I felt it was my duty to make everyone around me gleam with pride. I was always trying to make a good impression on others, because I felt the need for popularity. The pressure this put on me suddenly became unbearable. I did not understand why I was always the screw up, why I could never do anything right. The footsteps my older brother set out in front of me were big ones to fill. He seemed so perfect, and I, well I felt I was inferior to him. There was a shadow cast upon me and I tried so hard to break through it.

One day I completely broke down, I was ready to give up on everything. I had hit the bottom and I felt there was no turning around. Sorrow crawled trough my bones. Luckily, a good friend saw this sudden change in my usual happy-go-lucky appearance. When she realized my cheeriness was at times, a façade, she was determined to uncover the problem.

After explaining everything to her, she made me realize something so important, and it was the best present I’ve ever received. I don’t have to be perfect. I don’t have to worry about others opinions; mine should be the most important. Who would want to be perfect anyway, what’s the fun in that? Imperfection means individuality. It sculpts our souls into something so amazing and so true. Without imperfection everyone would be boring replicates and there would be no excitement in life.

Mistakes mean imperfection, but mistakes are a hidden beauty. They teach you right from wrong, and how to live your life. Mistakes are the stepping stone to reality, and in climbing these we learn who we are and who we want to become. Until a person realizes the improbability of perfection, their life is a waste. Most people spend every waking hour worrying about messing up; not knowing that this is only killing them from the inside out.

No one can be perfect, so why even try? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying people should let go of all their morals or beliefs and reek havoc on everything they touch. Imperfection should not catch the blame for mistakes, but it should be recognized as inevitable. I have learned that all I can to do is be the best “me” that I can, perfect or not. Striving for perfection will only bring a person down, and that is a fact.

Imperfection is beauty, this I believe.