Ashley - MInneapolis, Minnesota

In my eighteen years of life I have come down to one statement that I am going to live my life by until the day that precious life is taken from me. I believe that I must have the courage to live my life in a mature way by showing integrity in every decision I make, achieve the goals I set for myself throughout my entire life and positively influence other peoples’ lives that I may or may not personally encounter.

There was a point in my life where I had absolutely no clue as to who I was. I was lost in a world of eating disorders, depression, suicidal thoughts and loneliness. My life was spinning completely out of control and I had no idea that the first step to relieving myself from that hell, was a push from my number one support group; my parents. The love they displayed for me by getting me help, a new school and an endless amount of patience has created an example I wish to set for girls, or anyone, that feels that their life is anything less than worthwhile. I was confused, giving up and not the person that my parents believed I could be.

I am going to live my life everyday based on what I have learned over my recovery years. I need to decide what really is important in life and choose to keep that in mind when it comes to every decision I must make from this day forward. By doing this I will show maturity and integrity. I used to think that I would not amount to anything in life, I now completely disagree. Once I put my mind to achieving a goal, I know I can do it. I also believe that I have the power to help other people who may need it. I could not say where I would be without positive influences from my parents, teachers and doctors who know their role in this world; to help other people. Maybe this essay with influence someone out there who may be struggling with finding their own personal identity and I may never know. If it makes it that far, then I consider this essay one step in the direction of my most personal belief: to have the courage to live my life in a mature way by showing integrity in every decision I make, to achieve the goals I set for myself throughout my entire life and positively influence other peoples’ lives that I may or may not personally encounter.