Taylor - El Paso, Texas
Themes: afterlife, death

My Heaven

Why did I believe in Heaven? I did believe in Heaven because my mom, my church, and the Bible told me to. I never questioned if Heaven was real or not I just assumed it was. It wasn’t until last month that my idea of why Heaven exists changed.

October 28, 2007 Chris died. I met him when he was in third grade. I loved his family like they were mine and vice versa. Unfortunately, he was high on ecstasy, hit by a car at four in the morning, and suffered brain damage. He was put on life support for the day and taken off later that night. His kidneys were donated to two lucky individuals.

I can still remember my mom calling and telling me that Chris was hit by a car and he wasn’t going to live. My first reaction was anger. I was furious with Chris for doing drugs and hurting everyone who loves him. I flew to Albuquerque, NM with mixed feelings of anger and sadness but I knew I was only going for one reason: to say goodbye to him. I definitely was not prepared for what I was about to witness. Chris reminded me of a mummy lying in the hospital bed wrapped in white towels. Nothing was showing but his eyes, which were swollen and bleeding. A machine was pumping oxygen into his body to keep his organs well enough to donate. I leaned over, kissed his forehead and said goodbye.

Saying goodbye was the most difficult thing I have ever had to do. I was not prepared for the horrifying image of Chris I can remember as clear as crystal. As soon as I saw Chris I burst into tears and any feelings of anger turned into sorrow. The thought that that was the last time I was ever to going to see Chris did not hit me until the funeral. This thought is what brought me to my realization that Heaven does exist.

I have always believed in Heaven because I was told to. After Chris’s death I realized that I believe in Heaven because it gives me security and hope knowing that I will see the people I love once again. I hate the idea that once a person dies that that is it. The idea of never seeing those that I love is the worse feeling in the world. I lost my Aunt and Grandparents before I was old enough to remember them. I never got to meet them but I heard wonderful stories about them. I know once I get to Heaven I get to meet them, see Chris, and everyone that I love who will eventually pass away.

The thought of Heaven with a pearl gate and diamond streets are a wonderful idea. Nothing bad happens and it is nothing but happiness. This Heaven that I believe in offers me security and hopefulness because I know I will see everyone again.