Eva - Lancaster, Pennsylvania

Imagine it’s your 21st birthday and it’s time to head out for drinks with your friends. However instead of having your first taste of alcohol, you go out for cheeseburgers and milkshakes. Looking to my future, this is what I hope to find. I believe that I never will need to drink an alcoholic beverage within my lifetime. I won’t need to consume it to fit in, to fix my problems, or for any other reason I my life. My reasoning behind this farfetched belief is my faith, upbringing, and my family. For me, I feel that this belief, that I have developed, has come from living in an alcohol-free home for eighteen years of my life. I never felt that something was missing in my close-knit family life. My mother and I both share in the experience of growing up in an alcohol-free surrounding. The conservative perception in religious standpoints created this life for my mother.

My belief is not for everyone, but is the best lifestyle for me. I feel that anyone is allowed to drink alcoholic beverages as long as they do not get drunk or drink with the intentions of becoming drunk. My belief goes on to say that by one individual drinking, someone near them could be put in a situation or temptation that they have much trouble handling. Personally, I would be a stumbling block for my father because he had a time in his life where alcohol caused him much grief. This time period in his life was the first year of his college days. My father had to drop out of college because he would have preferred to go drink at a party than to keep up on his studies. So, he looked for a fulltime job and he turned his life around. He began working at Physician Support Systems in Mount Joy, Pennsylvania. After he eliminated this addiction and was standing on his own two feet, he married my mother. Soon after, they began to take on the evil college debts so my father could take college night classes. A few years into his second chance for his college degree, I was brought into this world. My father truly regretted the idea that he dropped out of college, but missing out on some of the key developmental moments of my life made that realization even worse for him; because he had to work a fulltime job to support the family and then take a few classes in the evening at one of the nearby colleges. I would never want to experience regret due to alcohol, and I surely would not want to have temptations brought upon my father because of my drinking occasionally. So when I turn twenty one years old, I will make sure to let my friends know that I will not be drinking alcohol in my lifetime because this I believe.