Bree - Creve Coeur, Missouri
Themes: change

“What you have done is in the past and you alone get to decide what your future will be. You are not your past. You are what is possible for you. Own this truth, and move forward in your life. Forgive yourself, and others will be able to forgive you too” (Unknown). I believe that your past creates you, but does not define you. You can have an unpleasant past, and end up with a better future. All the things in your past that didn’t go as you planned make you who you are. It is up to you to decide where you want to go from there.

The book Come Back, by Claire and Mia Fontaine, is another aspect that helped me create this belief. In the story, a young girl Mia gets sexually abused by her father when she was a baby. She grew up to do drugs, be promiscuous and be disobedient. She ended up running away various times to places where she can be with people who are “like her”. Her mother, Claire, became very worried about her and didn’t know how to control her, therefore sent her to a rehab center in the Czech Republic. While she was there, Mia began to realize that even though she got raped and did drugs, she can choose to be someone else. At the center, she chooses to change into someone new. Her drug addiction, rape, and disobedience, has made her who she is, but did not define her. She is not a rape victim, drug addict, or someone who will always disobey. She is Mia.

One of the many things in my past that I have done that has created who I am today, was in seventh grade when I would hurt myself to deal with stress, anger, and hurt. At the time, it seemed like the best idea. I had a lot of emotions that I didn’t know how to deal with. Therefore, I cut myself to make the pain I felt inside show on the outside too. My friend saw it a few times and she got really worried. I told her it was no big deal, and it was just how I dealt with pain. Since I wouldn’t listen to her, she informed my parents. My parents talked to me and helped me realize that it really wasn’t the best way to handle my emotions, and there were other ways. Cutting was one thing in my past that helped me create morals for myself, but I am not a cutter. I am me.

Everybody has either lived through bad memories, or has created bad memories that they regret. Those past experience only make you who you are, they don’t define you. As the quote says, “I am not my past.” Therefore, you are not your mistakes. You are who you want and choose to be.