Brionne - St.louis, Missouri

Mistakes I’ve made

“There’s mistakes I have made, some chances I threw away, some roads I never should’ve taken, some signs I didn’t see, hearts I hurt needlessly, wounds I wish I could have one more chance to mend. It don’t make no difference, the past can’t be rewritten, you get the life your given. Some pages turned, bridges burned, but there were lessons learned.” (Carrie Underwood)

Humans make mistakes everyday, whether they realize it or not. I personally experienced this when I was a freshman in high school and fell for a senior. I thought this friendship and commitment was important. I lied to my mom, told her I was going to a friend’s house, but instead everyday went to his house. Once I got caught, I was devastated that I wasn’t going to be able to proceed to go where I wanted. This decision made me recognize that this relationship wasn’t that special after all.

For a while, I respected my mom’s choice in letting me not hang out with this boy. Sooner or later though, I got desperate to see and hang out with him. This caused me to continue to lie to my mom about many things I did after school and on the weekends. I would tell my mom “Hey, I’m going to the mall on Friday.” Yet I would really end up at his house by the end of the night with a friend I was hanging out with. I thought to myself parents cant find out everything ill be fine for lying a little longer.

My mom ended up catching me once more like any parent would do when there child was going behind their back. She told me how disappointed she was in me and how she wished I would have listened to her the first time. She said she did what she had to because she didn’t want me to make a mistake she had made when she was my age. She ended the conversation with a story from her own life; it was a lot like what I was getting myself into. I then understood why she was being so cautious with me and my decisions.

My mom and I got in a fight that I was not ready for, a fight over a boy, a stupid boy. It was at this time that I realized that everything happens for a reason. I went to high school so I could meet a boy, get in trouble, not listen and get in a fight with my mom. All so she and I could gain a better relationship. I made a mistake and from that mistake I have learned so much. High school friends will come and go but my mom will be my mom forever.

Everyone makes mistakes and they all happen so people learn something they didn’t know about themselves. Mistakes to most people are always bad. Yet once the mistake is over, the outcome could be something way better.