Allison - Milford, Michigan

Ludwig van Beethoven once said, “Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy. Music is the electrical soil in which the spirit lives, thinks and invents.” This quote gives two pieces of information about Beethoven. One, he was not all music; he had some brains also. And two, he knew exactly what he was talking about. I believe that music is a very important aspect in our everyday lives, just as Beethoven did. Everybody likes some sort of music. Whether it is classical, rap, country, or rock, everyone has a genre of music that peaks their interest. Many people use their interest in music to express themselves, myself in particular. I have been playing the piano since I was four years old, and I have been playing guitar for about a year. I have also been involved in choirs since I was nine. Although I am musically inclined in several areas, the piano has interested and helped me more than anything else.

My piano teacher taught me so much in the seven years I studied with her. She taught me so many things about music and even about how to incorporate music into my faith. She was elderly and was often forgetful of things, but that never stopped her from being the best piano teacher I had ever had. She taught me that music was the best cure for getting my thoughts out of my head, and if I was in a bad mood, that playing a calm Minuet by Mozart often helped. She used to say to me, “If you’ve got the blues, a Sonatina in G is the best medicine around.” These were the things she taught me that helped in all aspects of my life.

My piano teacher was a very religious person. She expressed her love for her faith in ways of song and art. That was one of her gifts that she passed down to me. All over her walls there were paintings and poems showing how music was the base and foundation of her Faith. One picture in particular always caught my eye. It was a beautiful painting of a piano and on the keys it said “Bach gave us God’s Word. Mozart gave us God’s laughter. Beethoven gave us Gods fire. God gave us music that we might pray without words.” After seeing this painting, I was getting into my music more, trying harder to get those notes right. I could play a sonata and get completely caught up in the beautiful sound I was making. It was religious in a way, like saying this piece of music must be a work of God because it is so wondrous. When I play, it seems as though I am connected to something, a whole other world of music and faith. Soon I noticed that my faith was stronger because of my music. I found myself praying more often and getting involved with church choirs where I could express my love for music and God at the same time.

I believe that my piano teacher taught me a valuable lesson: that music is the greatest healer known to man. Her teaching strategies helped me grow closer to my faith. Now I am even starting to use my knowledge of music, and my faith to write my own songs. It is my way of expressing myself. I am finding what my piano teacher said to be true. If I have a bad day at school, the first thing I do is sit down and play a song. It helps me wind down. Now, I can say from experience, when you have the blues, sit down and play a Sonatina in G, because it is the best medicine around. This I believe.