Holly - Manlius, New York

Music has always been one of the most important parts of my life. When I was growing up, there was always music in my house, my dad has always been in a band, and I’ve always been singing. My parents have encouraged my love of music in many ways, either by listening to me sing, or telling me to try any instrument I can. I remember when my mom would sometimes work long nights and my dad and I would just have dinner, he would always put on a Beatles record and I would sing along. There wasn’t much that could make me shut up. My cousins would always yell at me for humming or singing all the time, oddly enough, we always had our own “singing group”. I’d never say music is my whole life, but it certainly is an important part of it.

I think that music is important because it gives people something to relate to. When I’m in a bad mood or even in a good mood, there’s a song that can describe it. If I don’t know how to say something myself, there’s almost always a lyric that I can think of to describe it for me. My sister is the same way. We each have songs for people that remind us of them. Just about all of my friends have their own song in my head. There are also tons of events that remind me of certain songs. I suppose my head is just like a radio. The stations change according to my mood. I think it’s important because it can help me sort out my thoughts and think of how I’m really feeling. Music is somewhat of a refuge. It can cheer you up or give you a voice if you’re not sure what to say.

I think it gives people something to connect through. While it’s not the only thing that can connect people, I certainly have made friends and gotten to know people by going to concerts and shows and talking to the people around me. Concerts give people a few hours out of the ordinary, somewhere to connect with people they may not have ever talked to, or ever will. Music is one of the things that makes my sister and I so close. Give us a CD and we’ll probably pick out the same song for our favorite, it’s happened before. She has always been telling me about bands that she loves and that mean a lot to her, and most of them are my favorites now. Music has helped us both when we’re feeling down, and I’m sure we’re not the only people.

I believe music is a universal language. Everyone has their favorite songs and bands, and while some people choose to divide themselves by what they listen to, I choose to connect myself. If people are too absorbed in trying to make a division, I think they’re missing the point. This I believe