Hart - Lexington, Kentucky

Walking down the dorm hall one day, I noticed a flyer that said, “send letters to our troops for the holidays.” In the middle of the letter, it pointed out to the reader to only send positive letters to our troops. The sad part being that people send negative ideas and thoughts to our troops during times of war.

After I read that, I began to think of the war in Iraq and how hard it must be on the troops and their families. The feeling of being ashamed began to settle in my stomach. Not because of the war, but because not all Americans support our troops. I am not writing this to make a political statement, or to give my opinion on the war in Iraq, but to tell every American, whether you support the war or not, you have to support our troops through encouragement and positive thinking. The troops go through a lot of hardships every day. Such as, road side bombs, violence, and events that we cannot even imagine .When you think of unpopular wars, many people think of Vietnam. During Vietnam, there was little support for the troops, and when troops came back to the United States after months or years of deployment, some were not supported by the people of the United States. I don’t want any negative feelings spreading towards the soldiers.

I believe we should support our troops through positive encouragement and ideas from all Americans. I don’t care if you are a Democrat, or a Republican, or if you are for or against the war, we all need to come together and support our troops as they fight the war in Iraq. By doing

this, the soldiers can focus on the job that they are assigned, and come home to America safe. Through positive comments, thinking and encouragement, the soldiers’ morale will go up during such rough times while in war. Morale is a huge step in being safe and being successful, but also we as a country become stronger with everybody supporting each other. I know that this war is very unpopular, but that doesn’t mean that you have to criticize the troops. Their job is to accomplish the missions, that they are told to do. In the end, they are doing a job. These soldiers are people’s girlfriends, boyfriends, husbands, wives, moms, dads, and friends. So we need to support them. Have you ever been in a situation where you had to befriend someone, and you knew it was the right thing to do? The popular idea would be to go and be friends with that person. Doing the right thing such as befriending that person was the right thing to do in your heart. In my heart, I strongly believe in supporting the troops through thick and thin, because it is the right thing to do.