Aaron - St. David`s, Pennsylvania

I believe that the early bird always get’s the worm. I believe this because of experiences that have happened personally to me. On November the 26th of this year was the first day of deer season in Snyder County. Everyone was waiting anxiously for this “holy day” to come. The only problem was when it came, it also brought tons and tons of rain. Being the fair weather hunter that I am, this didn’t seem to be the best case scenario but it was what God gave us and I wasn’t about to pass up an opportunity to go into his country. My grandfather told me earlier that morning that it wouldn’t get light out until about seven o’clock because of the rain clouds, so there wasn’t any use going to my stand while it was still completely dark out.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I was thinking the expression, the early bird catches the worm. So I didn’t pay any attention to my grandfather and headed out to my tree stand in the pitch black at six fifteen. He was right. The sun didn’t peek up over the mountain until about seven. But what my grandfather didn’t know was that particular morning the monster ten point that we had seen earlier that week, thought he was going to sneak by in the darkness.

As I sat in my stand and watched my breath as it danced on that cold, rainy morning, I heard the brush crack behind me and what I saw next was what every hunter hopes to see at least once in a lifetime. The buck was walking right towards me. As I watched him meander up the old, warn deer trail I knew that he was at least an eight point. This buck wasn’t aware what was about to happen but unfortunately for him, myself and my 300 Short Magnum knew exactly what was going to happen.

When he finally stopped in my shooting lane I gave a loud whistle and he stopped dead in his tracks. I placed the crosshairs directly behind the shoulder and squeezed the trigger. The gun went off and the buck jumped. I knew I had made a good shot. I jumped out of my tree stand and ran over to where I had last seen him. To my surprise, he wasn’t more than fifty yard from where I shot. As I approached, his rack stuck up above the ground and I could clearly see that he was indeed the big ten point buck that we saw earlier.

After hearing this story of the buck of a lifetime, hopefully you will agree with me that the early bird does indeed get the worm.