Marc - Holland, Michigan

I believe that leadership is something that develops in people throughout their lives despite if they view themselves as leaders or not. Some people are seen in society as being leaders in their jobs, church, homes, family, organizations and in other contexts but some are regarded much higher than others. Our society tends to view select people as “leaders” and looks at them as being more attractive than others. This is a common misconception that I think our society has about leaders and followers.

Personally, I don’t view myself as a leader in very many contexts and it is something that at this point I am all right with. As a college student I have decided to focus on learning as much as possible from others and taking a step back from any leadership positions. It is more important for me to continually develop and learn about the field that I want to get into and not so much about becoming a leader. Throughout my life, school has helped me to develop as a person but it hasn’t taught me everything that I will need to know as I grow older and enter a career. There is a plethora of endless information out there in business that excites and challenges me to continually soak in more knowledge when I think I may already know it all. The idea of becoming a leader at this stage in my life is something that I haven’t even started to think about because I know there will always be time for that in the future if that’s even something that I decide to do. In the past, I have been able to step up as a leader and bring success to whatever group, sports team, or organization that I have been a part of. There have been many situations when I have acted as a leader and I know it is something that I will want to do in the future to satisfy my own personal preferences, not because of peoples conceptions of leaders being “better”. As captain of my high school soccer team for two years and a youth group leader at a local church I have been able to develop many different leadership abilities. For me, it is important to be competent and confident when leading any kind of group and that is something that I will need to work on if I decide to take a leadership role in a business setting. The vision that I hold for myself is to continually learn and develop to a point where the leadership process becomes second nature to me. The motivation to succeed is something that I have always had and it has inspired me to follow my dreams and work hard at whatever I do. My job with a national bank and previous internships in the financial services industry have moved me along my career path and helped me to realize what kind of work in life will be satisfying. Education, past jobs, family and friends have all helped to mold me into the person that I am today and I think that these influences have set me up to be a success, leader or not. They have shaped my ideas and perceptions on many different things and shown me that it is alright to be different and go against societies common beliefs.

As mentioned earlier I think that leadership is something that develops in people throughout their lives despite how they perceive themselves or how others perceive them. Leaders and followers alike never stop learning and I think being a lifelong learner is more significant than ones status. It isn’t important to become a leader; it is important to become yourself and be happy with whatever you choose to do.