brooke - st louis, Missouri
Themes: carpe diem

The things you say and the things you do make it clear, life is up to you. Sometimes life is hard sometimes life is tough all you have to do is never give up. Yesterday is over while today is here, tomorrow is unknown although it’s coming near. My best advice is to try and try because you need to live your life like you could die.

While listening to the song Live Like You Were Dying by the country singer Tim McGraw, I was drawn in to each picture he portrayed. Listening to the life of a young man receiving the news he was on the edge of life or death. I felt sorry for this man until I realized how he chose to deal with such sad news. The man goes to explain his skydiving trip he took, a good book he read, a bull he road, and even a mountain he hiked. I was moved by the fact that he didn’t weep over upsetting news instead he chose to live like he was dying. I noticed a strong man in this and knew I would want to live like I was dying. This man realized he was on the edge and chose to squeeze it all in at the very end. This has made me realize I have to go ahead and live like I was dying at any minute because it truly could be any minute.

About a year ago I lost a friend in a car accident. He had lived to his highest although being 17 he still had a lot of life left to live. This friend had always chose to live like he was dying but he didn’t do it because he knew one day he would be in a car accident, he chose to do this because he didn’t want to miss a minute. Sadly, well never no how many things he really would have done because he left us but we do know while he was here he fulfilled a good life. I truly believe each person needs to live as if there is no tomorrow.

What saddens me gratefully is the amount of suicide at such a young age. I’ve read many articles relating to such a sad topic. Teens seem to have forgotten that you could have a bad day, bad week, maybe even month but in fifty years things could be completely different. I had a young friend take her life a year ago because she thought she couldn’t go on any longer. I look back and question her thoughts because if everything seems wrong it struck the perfect times to live like she was dying. She should have jumped out there and tried a million new things. She should have done things that made her happy and recognized the things that brought her down. With this it could have kept her going, but she gave up. I think giving up on life is a very big weakness that it could be prevented if you live like there is no tomorrow.

Recently my father was in a terrible accident. When receiving the news I began to flash through my head “What have we not done yet?” or “What if this really is the end?” I remembered the trips to Mexico we had taken but did he really have fun? I remember him and me laughing in the car on the way to a baseball game but was that something that he really wanted to do. I even remembered the things I made him do for me after I begged and begged but did he really want to spend his time doing that. I know that my father had always lived like he was dying it was just the way he was. Always saying I love you before he left or calling to check up. He made the effort to do things that he really wanted to do and to spend money he wasn’t sure he really had. I sat in our house alone while the family was at the hospital curiously wondering what if that was the end, what things would I have no yet gotten to do with my father. Things can happen in the blink of an eye and people don’t come back which really keeps the thought strong to me, you have to live like you were dying.

If today were your day to say goodbye would you be able to lift your wings and fly? To know you have done all that you could do and that bright shining smile meant everything to you. Could you look back with no regrets and be happy with all the memories you’ve kept? So yesterday is over while today is here, tomorrow is unknown although it’s coming near. The best advice is to try because someday sadly you will die. Try your hardest to learn and grow because you never know if you’ll be here tomorrow.