Cera - Maryland Heights, Missouri
Themes: golden rule

It’s 6:00 p.m. and you turn on the nightly news. You hear a report stating that a 25 year old woman had been shot dead in her home by a burglar. You think, “Eh, stuff happens,” or, “Poor woman…” But when I hear things like that, it gets my blood boiling. I can never understand the irrational thinking that goes on in some people’s mind. In Luke 6:31 of the bible, it says, “Do onto others what you would have them do onto you.” This is one of the golden rules I follow everyday, and wish that every other person did too.

East St. Louis has a reputation for crime. Even so, my dad went there once and what happened is something I’ll never forget. My dad was leaving his destination, and while getting into his car, a gun was pointed to his head. “Give me all of your money,” the man demanded.

“Okay, just let me get it out of my car,” my dad replied. But he didn’t do that; he quickly turned on his car and floored it. The man didn’t take kindly to that gesture and shot him in the shoulder. This never would have happened if the man had only thought about how he would feel in that situation. If you don’t want something bad to happen to you, don’t do it to others.

You can also view this rule in the opposite way; there are hundreds of charities that support children, people who lost their homes, beaten animals, and a lot more than just that. These charities spend time trying to get people to support their group in order to give to the people who need it. Thousands of people give to these organizations everyday, trying to help the people who need it and make the world better. Even celebrities try to help out; Paul Simon, Jennifer Lopez, and Marc Anthony developed “The Children’s Health Fund.” Since so many people look up to those people, they get motivated even more to help. Considering people like to give so much to themselves, if they thought that much about other people, the charities would be able to help a lot more.

When you think about it hard enough, you know that you’d never want bad things to happen to you. You also need to think about how you can make a difference for other people, and what you’d want people to do for you if you were in their shoes. So next time you think about doing something evil to someone, just remember that you’d never want them to do that to you!