Lauren - Bowling Green, Kentucky
Themes: family, love

I believe in loving someone with all your Heart

Love is a wonderful thing. It can make you feel so many emotions all at one time. Love can be valued in many different ways. I believe you should love someone with all your heart every second of the day. My mother gave me my life, and a part of hers. My mother and I have a very special bonding. We have laughed, cried, and screamed at each other through out my life. I have told my mother everything about me. She knows every tear I have cried, every smile I have made. She has been there for me through it all. When I was a child she told me I could move to California to be someone famous when I grew up. I cried and told her no, I wanted to stay with her and be just like her.

Love makes you hurt sometimes. When I was in middle school I knew my mother was going to have surgery done on her back. She told me she was going to fine, and she would be back home in no time with my sister, brother, and I. I got a phone call at my grandmother s house after school one afternoon from my mother’s boyfriend. He told me everything was going to be okay but my mom was a little sick after the surgery, and she was not going to be able to come home from Louisville in a couple days. I wondered right then if something was wrong. I cried to my mother on the phone everyday before and after school for a week about how bad I missed her. Finally the day before she came home she told me something that changed the way I thought of love totally. I heard the sadness in her voice and I heard her start to cry. I knew something was bad wrong.

She told me when she was in surgery something went wrong. She was paralyzed on her right side and when she came home she was going to have to stay in mediplex to learn how to walk again. I cried until I couldn’t cry anymore. I asked her why she didn’t tell me. She said I didn’t want you to worry and make you do badly in your school work. She said I’m going to learn how to walk again and I need you there to help me. That night I cried to myself and to god. I just didn’t understand why this horrible thing had to happen to my beautiful mom.

I was determined to help my mom learn how to use her right side again. Everyday after school someone took me to where she was and we walked around the facility with a gait belt around her for me to help her keep balance. We walked every night for 3 hours a night. Then we would do arm and leg exercises that the therapists give her.

Five in half years later my mother walks perfectly, and operates her right side perfectly. There is not any way you could look at this strong woman and tell she was ever paralyzed. She started using her right side and built her muscles’ back up in a month in a half, with a lot of work and time. You never know what is going to happen to someone you love. But you should love them with all your heart every second of the day.