Amber - Pottstown, Pennsylvania
Themes: family, setbacks

A couple years ago, I was told the words that no teenager wants to here; that one of their parents is leaving. I remember that night like it was yesterday.

I was in my room doing homework when my dad came in and asked me to come downstairs for a minute because him and my mom needed to talk to me. The first thought that ran through my mind was, “Did I do something wrong?” “Are they mad at me?” So I walked out of my room, down the hall, into the living room and into the kitchen just following my dad silently. I turned to go down the stairs and each step on the old stairway creaked and the wooden railing squeaked as my hand slid down the smooth banister. My mom was sitting on the couch so I too sat down, as did my dad. I saw my mom’s eyes were red and tearful. She was sniffling her nose and had a tissue in her hand. Right then I knew she had been crying and that this talk was not going to go well. The only part that I heard clearly was when my dad said that they both loved me very much, and what they were about to tell me was not my fault in any way. He said they have been having troubles for a while now and arguing too much. They tried to work it out, but it just didn’t seem possible. After that point I only heard “Blah, blah, blah”. My heart started racing and my body started shaking and my eyes had a rush of warmth come across them. In less than a second I felt the warm streams of tears sliding down my cheeks. After the talk, I naively helped my dad pack his bags and walked him out to his car. He left that night.

It was hard at the beginning to cope with the fact that I didn’t see him everyday, but things became easier. But through the rough times, I hated my life and wished that I could spend just one day in someone else’s shoes so that I didn’t have to always feel broken. I walked around school with a smile, trying to act happy so people wouldn’t know I was hurting. By the end of the day, I would always break down and cry at least once. But then, one night, I remembered what I believed in all along. I believe that God doesn’t give you an obstacle that you can’t overcome. He believes in our inner strength and tests us to see how far we go. He wants to see if we break or if we stay strong. Ever since that day, every obstacle I have come to, the first thought that comes to mind is what I have said since that night. I will continue to use this phrase because I believe that God doesn’t give you an obstacle you can’t overcome.