Katia - miami shores, Florida
Themes: change, place

believe in traveling.

I suppose as a healthy 15 year old, it would be easy for me to say I believe in friends, or fashion, or even world peace but, while these things are important to me, I guess what I believe in most is travel. Travelling for me means seeing new cultures, visiting beautiful places, eating new foods,having new experiences and meeting new people.

For instance, Turkey was cultural experience for me. And by that I mean the culture of salesmanship. My hotel was on the beach, and when I went to the beach, the Turkish sellers would grab my arm and put a whole bunch of jewelry on me. Next they tried to make me ask my parents to buy it all for me. So my sister and I would run straight to the water whenever we wanted to swim and then run back into the hotel. The sells would be running after you the whole time. It was a lot of fun.

I have visited the most magnificent place. I am really amazed when, standing in front of the Colliseum in Rome. The architecture of Athens is truly beautiful. Even Paris, my home where I saw the same buildings every day continued to inspire me with their beauty. Wherever you go, there are different styles of architecture to enjoy.

What I love to about traveling is tasting different foods from all over the world. I loved the couscous, and food spices in Morocco. The different pasta recipes in Italy are delicious. Cheese fondue served hot on the balcony in the middle of winter is to die for. But my favorite foods are found in France; tarte tatin, foie gras, and fillet mignon are all examples of French Cuisine at its best. Without travel, these new tastes would not have been possible.

Travel has certainly provided me with wonderful experiences. In Mykonos, the Greeks like to do things late at night. They eat dinner really late (around 11pm). One night, when I was walking through the village on my home after one of these long, late dinners, I was really tired; it was 1:30 a.m. I was surprised to see a lot of people shopping like crazy. Who could imagine that the shops would still be open! Then the Greeks party until it’s almost time for work! They sleep for a couple of hours and still have the energy to go to work. One night, I met some Greek friends and we want partied almost all night. The next morning I couldn’t get up, I was so tired but my friends were up as usual. I don’t know how they do it.

Travel has given me special gift. The gift of international friends. I have good friends in Italy, Belgium, Greece, America, Spain, and of course France. I meet the best and coolest friends ever. We all correspond regularly via the internet. This exchange of ideas from different cultures makes me think.

If I didn’t travel my life wouldn’t have been really exiting. This is what I believe in. what do you believe ?