Kevin - Miami, Florida

Kevin Goldfarb

In our modern world, people believe in what others tell them to. People blindly follow anything that they see, without any background or strong conviction over the subject. I believe that people should not conform to the ideas of others. I believe that people should discover the facts for themselves, and only believe in what they feel strongly about. People are too easily swayed; I believe that they should believe what they choose.

In a more simplistic sense, people need their own minds, own beliefs. In being a high school student, I see many kids my age, do things that they don’t want to do and shouldn’t be doing, just because they are persuaded into it. The right path would be to stand up against it, stand up for their beliefs. We need not to be shy, not to be the cool guy of the campus, just because that is what we think others would like.

Some would think that not acting for others is a selfish, introspective mindset. On the contrary, I believe that acting for others, believing in what they tell you to, is really a vain state of being. I believe that people should do what they want, unaffected by what others say. The main problem with doing what others tell you to do is that you are not your own person; you are just an appendage of someone else. Not believing what you do because it pleases others is a loss of identity. If you always want to be someone’s subordinate or sidekick, I guess you can believe and act how others tell you to, but if you want to be yourself, independent from others, you have to act and believe in the manner which you want.

To tell you the truth, I think the fault of our society today, is vanity, caring what others think, doing what they want. Most of the time believing what others desire, is what gets you in trouble, whether it’s with the law or with your future. Standing up for what you believe in (Oh yea I know, HUGE cliché) is the best possible route, and the real success is in he who believes and acts as he pleases, not for others.