Stick to Your Morals

Michelle - San Diego, California
Themes: morality

I believe in sticking to your own morals and not lowering them for anyone. Our morals make up part of who we are. Personally, my morals are a large part of my personality.

I worked at Submarina in Rancho Bernardo for a little over 2 years. Many of my co-workers had very different morals from me and this caused some problems in the work place. In my first couple of months, I was made to realize that many of my schoolmates as well as some co-workers had lower morals than me. Many nights I was present when a couple of the long term employees stole from the company and allowed their friends to steal. Those same co-workers and their friends did drugs and brought them into the store or left them in their cars outside. They were busted in front of the store as I watched one night. It was important to me not to participate in any of the horrible things they did because of some of my family members who have done similar things and wrecked their lives. Each night working with them, I learned how low morals have dropped in teenagers and that I was raised with higher morals than many of my peers.

When we are young, we believe that telling an adult when someone is doing something they aren’t supposed to, is wrong; it was called tattling. Even now it is frowned upon. I always thought this was foolish. When someone is not around they cannot truly know what is going on unless someone tells them. Because of my ideology, I let my boss know about the stealing and the rules that were broken and by certain people. I limited myself to only letting him know about the most serious rule breaking and I didn’t care if my telling made people hate me; I was sticking to my morals. If I didn’t tell I would be eaten up inside, like I was when next to nothing was done about a lot of the problems. By being eaten up inside, I mean that I would feel physical pain because people didn’t do what they were supposed to and they got treated the same or better than I did. I wanted my work to be working at its highest capacity.

I can’t stress enough how important morals are to me. I believe strongly that people should stick to their morals and only raise them if needed to be true to themselves. I see no point to lowering one’s own moral standard.