Kiersta - Vienna, Maine
Themes: integrity

My autism kaleidescopes my thinking. It half-tells me about virtues in new ways. Concerning honesty, for example, it implies that:

Our passions to do things well help keep us honest in the things we do. Honesty doesn’t stand still; as we grow up, we get to prove this by our increasing honesty. Learning honesty as a craft requires the usual apprenticeship and humility.

If one knows enough about the disadvantages of dishonesty, one has to be foolish to be less than honest. Admitting one’s errors is an important small part of being honest. Are we not telling the truth as much with our body language as with our words? If we were as honest as our good reputation for honesty is, it might be a more honest world. Total honesty is about as frequent as we are total masters of ourselves. Thoroughgoing honesty remains the offiial standard; all else is at least partially out of line.

For honest folk, honesty is the currency of exchange. Honesty pays best those who are honest for reasons better than profit. Honesty without profit in mind, exists in the hearts and actions of the true. Honesty for its own sake is noble; for the sake of justice it’s principled; and for the sake of benefit to one and all it is proper. Constructively memorable honesty is best.

The meritocracy of honesty remains a democratic one; anyone discerning can join. Honest persons don’t have to make up explanations. The consistently honest need not advertise their honesty. Honest minds need no praise; the better praise of honesty is to practice it. Essentially decent and essentially sensible are those who dare to be consisently honest. The more we are honest, the more we are astute.

Regretfully, honesty must sometimes suffer in the interests of survival. Absolute honesty is for the masochistic. Disastrous honesty should be avoided by the pure of heart.

Honest work makes for honest dealings. Honest dealings allow us to be more at ease and to think more clearly. Honest policies lead to proper trust. Honesty in one’s thoughts, one’s words, and one’s behavior gives one the confidence of the calmly achieving. The rewards of honesty are a by-product of–and not a reason for–honesty.

Honest lives get lived more soundly and more radiantly. For the sake of our future, it helps to have an honest past, and to keep on having one. As we are honest, so are we true; and as we are true, so are we safe from ourselves.

To me all this seems believable enough until proven otherwise.