Isable - Ithaca, New York
Themes: fear

Have you ever fallen from a moving object? More importantly, have you ever fallen from a horse? My passion is riding but you can’t have one with out the other. One too many times falling on my head? Or, is it that disease dreaded by all parents and pocket books: Horse craziness.

If my horse decides that she’s a rodeo star, bucks and dumps me in the corner, I always get back on, but it’s not that I don’t shed a few tears every once in awhile. If you don’t get back on, you are letting your fear own you. If letting your fear own you is okay with you… you might as well not live. I’m not saying that fear isn’t a part of my life or my riding, it is. For the longest time I was scared to jump, but I kept at it and fell off way too many times too be called a sane person, but now it’s my favorite thing to do. Like most competitors, I get butterflies at horse shows before I jump. Sometimes I think the stress is too much and I should stop showing. But then I think about it and the idea is almost laughable: Stop showing, that’s silly.

Now here is a novel idea, like red wine, fear in moderation may be good for the heart. It certainly keeps you from jumping off that cliff just to feel the wind in your hair. We have horses for hair “wind”ing. A big part of overcoming fear is perseverance (and a bit of stubbornness). If you don’t feel you need to prove that you can do something to other people, then you won’t ever prove it to yourself and your fear will rule you forever. Which bring us back to not bothering to live. I think it’s dumb to let anything like fear rule your life.

Persistence is something I pride myself on, whether it’s that tough rollback (a jumping pattern) or getting a secret out of a friend. People who know me will agree it’s hard to get me off their case. This can work for and against me, and often gets me into trouble but I ignore the cons, and go with the pros. What is a little trouble in the grand scheme of things? Show the world your not afraid. Bring it on.