William - Bowling Green, Kentucky

This I Believe as I wake up to the beautiful morning I’m scared at the same time because I feel that the end is here. I feel that if we don’t do anything to change this worldwide crisis of global warming chances of our human race to be still around would be gone by the time the next generation comes. Global warming is not just going to effect just me or my family in the future to come, but the whole world as we now it. Everyday as I see up the sky I think about all the carbon dioxide that is let out due to fossil fuels, industry, and agricultural processes caused by human, natural, and other gas emissions. As the 21st century rolls in we started to see the effect of global warming. The earth is getting hotter and hotter every year and we need to start doing something about it.

The majority of scientists believe global warming is a process underway and that it is human-induced. The greenhouse gases are carbon dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide. These gases occur naturally. The Earth uses those gases to warm its surface. Carbon dioxide is released into the atmosphere when solid waste, fossil fuels, wood, and wood products are burned. Each greenhouse gas absorbs heat differently. If natural gases did not occur, the temperatures would be 91.4 degrees cooler than the current temperatures. These gases trap heat and cause the greenhouse effect, rising global temperatures. Human activities add to the levels of these gasses, causing more problems. The burning of solid waste, fossil fuels, and wood products are major causes. Automobiles, heat from homes and businesses, and factories are responsible for about 80% of today’s carbon dioxide emissions, 25% of methane, and 20% of the nitrous oxide emissions. The increase in agriculture, deforestation, landfills, industrial production, and mining contribute a significant share of emissions too. Its affect on climate can adversely affect humans. Plagues have been attributed to global warming. An increase in temperature can result in a longer life cycle for diseases or the agents spreading them. Living in a warm area makes egg production a quicker process. Global warming will lead to more precipitation, which enables infectious diseases to be more easily contracted and spread. Effects of global warming on human health might not be immediately detected.

Scientists using highly precise airborne laser measurements of 67 Alaskan glaciers from the mid-1950s to the mid-1990s discovered that the glaciers are melting an average of six feet a year – and in some cases a few hundred feet – and that the rate has accelerated in the past seven or eight years. It’s horrible what is happening to the world out there. Little by little I know we are going to get through it and I know that there are organizations out there that are trying to do there best, but the time is running out and we need the people to know more and more about. I know that terrorism is a great deal now and is still going to be in the future, but what people don’t see is are we still going to be around in the future or are we going to be just another species in earth’s history that perished like the dinosaurs. I believe that we need to worry about our environment first and all come to together as a species to fight this. Remember Katrina was just the beginning.