Pooja - Manlius, New York
Themes: forgiveness

Learn to Forgive and Forget:

I believe in forgiving and forgetting mistakes that people have committed.

When I was a little girl my mother said to me to forgive and forget mistakes that have been committed by people accidentally. I really didn’t listen to her advice at first, but in a few years I realized that when you forgive and forget a person’s mistakes it leads to inner peace.

I remember a time when I ignored what my mother had said to me. I was in 4th grade telling my friend something that I had never said to anyone. I told her not to tell anybody. I knew she wouldn’t say anything because I trusted her.

Well, turns out that I shouldn’t have told anything to her. The next day everyone at school found out what I had said to her and I was so angry. I went up to her and started yelling and screaming and walked away. I knew that I was wrong because I didn’t even give her a chance to say anything. When I went home I told my mother all that had happened and she reminded me something that I had forgotten. My mother said, “Remember when you were a little girl I told you to forgive and forget mistakes that people have made?” That moment I felt so bad that I didn’t listen to mother because if I had listened to her then I would have at least given my friend the chance to say something.

I was in my room thinking about what had happened when my mother told me that my friend was on the phone. I sprinted down the stairs and picked up the receiver. My friend told me that she didn’t really mean to say anything to anyone, but the words just came out. I was upset at the fact that she told someone, but then I thought about what my mother had said. I had forgiven and forgotten the mistake that my friend committed accidentally.

I feel so terrible that some people in the world even today lose great friendships because no one has to the courage to forgive their friend for their mistakes. I am proud of the fact that I listened to my mother and I did not lose a great friendship over a mistake. Never say your side of the story and leave the other side incomplete, give the other person a chance to say their side of the story. If you think that you should forgive the person then you should forgive them and forget the mistake that they have committed. This I believe.