Scott - Manlius, New York
Themes: carpe diem, work

I Believe in the Importance of Time

I believe in the importance of time. Time is the greatest force in the universe, a force of creation, a force of motivation, and a force of destruction. We are always out of time, or we need more time, or we’re wasting time. Sometimes we wish time would move faster, and sometimes we wish it would slow down. Today’s society is hectic and chaotic. We always have too many things to do and too little time to do them in. Everything we do is regulated by how much time we have available. All the time in a day is quickly divided up amongst the various activities we are involved in with little time to spare. Often, we simply run out of time to do everything we need or want to do. The idea of simply sitting calmly and relaxing is certainly out of the question.

My life has been all about going there, doing that. I’m always rushing from some place to another. Between school and sports practice and church and the store, I have to manage to squeeze in my homework, and only then would I be able to have free time. There is simply too much going on. Often, I just don’t have the time to do everything I need to do. If only I had a little more time, I tell myself, I could do this, or finish that, or make this better.

In today’s world, however, that “excuse” doesn’t cut it. Everyone expects you to do a specific thing and get it done at a specific time. They all think that their thing is the most important, and, since it is often impossible to do it all, we have to prioritize. We try to manage our time effectively and do the most important things first, but we always end up upsetting somebody in the long run. We try to combat our massive workload by working more quickly, but that only frees up time for new obligations.

I believe that time is the most valuable of all commodities. I would like no greater gift than the gift of more time to relax and do what I want. What good are material possessions if you never have time to use them? With enough time, you could do anything you’d like. The source of all progress, in truth, is time. The more we think about things and the more time we spend working on them, the more we can discover.

People these days are constantly on the lookout for the supreme source of happiness. We often think that if we buy a certain product, we will never need anything ever again. The advertisements say, “Buy this and you will be happy for the rest of your life,” but these objects can never solve the real problem. They can’t slow down the hectic pace of our world. If only we could have all the time we wanted, we would be able to sit back and relax for once, and that is where we would find true happiness and peace.

Unfortunately, we don’t have that time. Life is short, and every second you waste, you will never get back. Everyone is so caught up in managing their time effectively and never “wasting it” by calming down. My hope is to better my life by slowing it down. If I can’t make more time, I’ll have to try to find it. If this means cutting down on the things I try to do, so be it. It will make me happier in the long run.

Time is the force that never stops. It is the force of change, of both creation and destruction. Over time, mountains wear away, but new mountains rise up in their place. Time is both the key to happiness and the ever-shortening fuse. I see time as the key to making everything better, but there is never enough to go around.