I’m Beautiful

Jessica - Alamogordo, New Mexico

I believe I am beautiful. That’s right, I really just said that. I know what you may be thinking, ‘whoa, someone must think highly of themselves.’ I am intelligent, caring, funny, but physically I don’t quite measure up to the standard of what the media portrays as beautiful. When I was a child, I would stare at the television and movie screens longing to be like Audrey Hepburn. For me, she was the ultimate portrait of glamour. She seemed to have it all; brains and beauty. As a child I wondered, why couldn’t I be both smart and beautiful?

As I got older and added braces and glasses to the mix, name calling, whispers, and giggles behind my back only got worse. Everywhere I went, my friends had lost their baby fat and were developing into mature young women who could have their pick of the boys. I, on the other hand, was not as fortunate. My Friday nights were spent at home with my parents. I always felt awkward and isolated. My self-esteem only grew worse with every change of the channel and turn of the magazine page. No matter where I go in today’s world there is a beautiful slender face staring back at me from the cover of a magazine or the latest commercial on t.v.

I always compared myself to those perfectly airbrushed images. Until one day, I saw a news program in which they described how photographers use lighting and airbrushing to make models appear flawless. This was the moment when I realized that the images I had compared myself with and never quite lived up to were false. Those women were not real women, they were airbrushed ideals of them. I then began to think of how many more young people, for that matter, spend their time comparing themselves to and never quite living up to society or the media’s idea of beautiful. We are all guilty of it, not just with ourselves. We all judge and compare others as well. Almost as if, there is this standard of beauty that we must all live up to in order to be accepted into the clique other wise known as society.

These ideals that are presented to us on a daily basis are so false. Who really creates these standards? I mean come on I am sure if you took away the airbrush touch-ups, laser treatments, and cosmetic surgery, many of these models and movie stars do not fit that standard themselves. The older I get, the more that I become the person that I want to be. I no longer follow society’s ideals or standard of beauty. I follow my standard. My standard tells me, I do have the whole package: brains and beauty. It is time for us to stop believing in society’s ideals of beauty and start believing in our own beauty. Each of us, are beautiful in our own way. I am proud to say, I am Beautiful.