Karen - Las Vegas, Nevada

I believe in the holidays. I believe in the happiness it leaves in a person’s heart. During this time, I’m reminded of why I cherrish my family, friends, and life. The holidays are time to be thankful for what one has been blessed with and to bestow kindness to those who may be less fortunate. I also believe in Santa Claus and the joy he brings to young children. I believe in the spirit of the Holidays.

The holidays mean driving around to various neighborhoods to look at the lights, which families have hung year after year. This season means bringing warm blankets to the homeless, and sending the less fortunate children clothing for the winter. This time signifies the overly decorated department stores, peppermint mochas from Starbucks, and children sitting on Santa’s lap with their biggest wishes in mind. This season is a break for students to spend time with their family and friends, and for loved ones from around the world to visit. The Holidays entail recollecting fond memories from the past and appreciating each other’s company.

I believe in setting up the Christmas tree with the family as we blast Holiday music throughout the house. I believe in strategically placing each ornament on the branches and setting the sparkly pillows on the couches. I love lighting the gingerbread-scented candles and cluttering the mantle with maroon and gold cards from Christmases before, all in an effort to impress Santa.

I believe the Holidays bring the best spirit throughout the year. I believe the season is a combination of insignificant things that end up meaning so much. They are about the red sprinkles in the Rudolf mug, and curling up on the couch with the family to watch A Christmas Story for the thousandth time. The holidays are about the warm, bear hug we give someone after they’ve entered our home. This time is about matching with one another on Christmas day, not caring how ridiculous we seem as our socks jingle. I believe in giving this feeling to everyone willing to accept it. The holidays mean spending time with loved ones and letting others know they are cared for. The holidays are about spreading cheer to all and wishing all a good night.