chris - manlius, New York

The Insignificance of Homework

The kids of this generation work far too hard at home for their homework to court so little. This I believe.

I do realize that homework is very helpful to both the students and the teachers of this generation. I do not resent the fact that there is homework, but I believe my grade is being corrupted and cheated by the insignificance that homework has as a grading percentile.

As a current student in Fayetteville-Manlius High School, I can honestly say that I feel as though I am being continuously cheated through the homework systems of my school. Homework accounts for about five percent of my grade at the most in a class. Some classes do not even give credit to the students for completing their homework. Homework just falls into the class work category of the grading or a participation category that has even less in weight. The most stressful part of my day is actually when I get home, because at that point in time, it is necessary to effectively allot certain amounts of time to certain homework and activities. When you work hardest one something that counts the least, something has to be wrong.

How can teachers give such little credit when their students work so hard? Homework is the single hardest thing for me to do as a student. When I am in school, I have the ability to complete all of my coursework and complete it to the fullest of my ability. There are no sports to be attending and no television shows to watch.

When the school bell rings, I am swamped by sports, music, and various other activities. Students have to maintain a healthy lifestyle, and the overwhelming amounts of homework given to them often prevent them from doing that. Some students are confined to their homes in order to complete their assignments. Other students choose to go their sports and clubs, and make the sacrifice of having their homework incomplete on its designated due date. The majority of students, including myself, often slave over their home assignments, and compromise too many pleasures for homework to have such triviality. This resulting loss of sleep follows with me to the next day and I will usually find myself too exhausted to pay attention in classes and keep my eyes from closing at the same time.

The injustice here is that students should not be forced to make this choice. They should not have to choose between their sports and homework, and most of all they should not have to prioritize homework and spending time with their family. Students need to spend time with family, and have enough time on their hands to harvest the many extracurricular opportunities that life presents.

The idea of a healthy lifestyle must be promoted, and especially by the schools. It is a necessity for children to be active in things besides academics. Yes, there is that piece of common knowledge that good grades get kids into college; good colleges get kids good jobs and money, but it can all be modified so that these kids who deserve good grades rightfully earn them. The large amounts of homework that count so minimally are unfair to the students and their families.

Children need to participate in extra-curricular activities, music, and other opportunities that interest them. The weight of homework on students’ grades in this generation is completely unjustified and irrational for those students who actually complete their homework with the care and endeavor that it deserves. This I believe.