adam - chicago, Illinois
Themes: work

Some people play sports just to play games. When I was little I always played a game just to be playing, but now when I play sports, I play it like I mean it. Some students go to school just because they have to and they don’t care enough to try hard. I believe that I should take pride in anything I do, and do the best that I can.

I spend a lot of my time playing sports. I have learned in sports that I should “always play a game like it was my last”. My dad taught me that. When I was younger, I never used to take the game seriously. Then I remember a baseball game where we needed to win or be out of the playoffs. I went out there and played like it might be my last game and it felt great. I played the best game I had played my whole life. I made great defensive plays and I got the game winning hit.

I think sometimes about how some players are really hurt playing sports. For example, Buffalo Bills football player Kevin Everett was paralyzed earlier this year trying to tackle a runner and he may never get to play the game again. I can never know what might wind up being my last game so it is always important to do the best that I can with every chance I get.

This is not just a good rule for sports; it is also a good rule for school and work. In school, I need to work your hardest and always try to do my best. When I am working on papers or on tests (especially on tests) I don’t usually get to have another chance. I can’t ever say anything like “Well, this is good enough for now; I can always do better later.” School doesn’t work that way, and my parents tell me that jobs don’t work that way either.

I have to always try to do my best even if the best I can do may not be good enough for someone else. At least I can know that I did everything I could do. We can’t all be superstar athletes or straight-A students, but we should always try our hardest on things. In that way even if I don’t succeed, at least I can be proud that I tried.

It is important to feel proud of what I do. Whether you like to play sports or do well in school or work, I should take pride and do the best I can. I never know whether I’ll get another chance.

And, this I believe.