Jonathan - St Davids, Pennsylvania
Themes: humanism

I can hardly find the ketchup in the refrigerator without asking for help. It’s frustrating to admit it, but I suffer from refrigerator blindness. I believe that refrigerator blindness is applicable to all aspects of our lives. To be looking for something as simple as your car keys, only to realize that they’re in your pocket. Or even something as complicated as looking for someone who will love you, which typically ends with you getting your heart broken. In the movies and books it’s called dramatic irony, the audience knows something that the character will have to eventually face. Which perhaps is what someone, who watched the movie of our life would partake in, watching us as we desperately race to finish an assignment only to find out that the teacher cancelled it last minute. In all the great romantic comedies, the boy or girl protagonist seeks the approval of their idea with the help from their opposite sex friend, who they consider to be a brother or sister. In the end one of two things happens the protagonist gets their ideal partner, realizes that they’re mismatched, and then seeks to rebuild bridges between the one who they hurt. I think it’s funny in these situations, yearning for one thing only to be given something we did not expect and to have that grow into what we wanted. It’s like when you get a present for Christmas you did not expect to receive nor did you put on your list. Perhaps it is all for the best, as humans we’re prone to want what we don’t need and need what we don’t want. That is why I believe that refrigerator blindness is applicable to all aspects of our lives.