chandler - lexington, Kentucky
Themes: purpose

I believe that we should live each day as if it were our last. In a world filled with instability and selfishness, the life of tomorrow is never promised. Imagine finding out that your life will soon be over, regardless of your innocent youth or experiences you have yet to encounter. Would you be satisfied with the life that you have led???

Since I can remember my family has experienced the malicious and bitter effects of cancer. Several loved ones of mine have lost the battle to that inalienable disease. You know, they say it isn’t the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog. Cancer contradicts the validity of that statement. Frankly, I have become hesitant to get close with anyone because as soon as I do, they seem to be taken away. Recently I began seeing life in a whole new perspective, one that I wish other people could gain as well.

My grandfather is known as a person who instills qualities of love, joy, respect, and integrity. Never is there a moment when he would not go out of his way to help another, and without the least bit of hesitation. Those incredible human beings who are an absolute delight to be around, rain or shine, are a rare entity in today’s time. Days when I am overwhelmed with stress or things just aren’t going right, I pick up the phone simply to hear his voice. He was diagnosed with an unusual form of liver cancer, soon discovering his time was now limited. Many people would be discouraged, but that was the last thing my grandfather did. Each morning, he rises out of bed with a new appreciation for life— an appreciation that can only be portrayed by his presence.

I went and stayed with him one weekend, but the few days spent visiting turned into an alteration of my outlook on life. Days that, in my eyes, seemed too cold and windy to play golf were perfect for him. Ensuring that I received adequate hours of sleep or otherwise being grumpy became preposterous. I occasionally neglected the opportunity to tell someone how much I loved them, not him. He overlooked the small things because they were unimportant; life was just too short. If I could offer a small piece of advice it would be this: take care of the things you love and treasure them forever. Wake up each morning with a purpose and adore those moments that take your breath away. So what if you were to live each day like it was your last? Well, you might be pooped as my grandfather would say, but come on; sleeping is something you can do once you’re dead…