Glen - Manlius, New York

I believe that education is one of the most significant things that you will encounter in your childhood. I mean, I’m not a big enthusiast of school myself but I realize that it is going to help me throughout the rest of my life. While it may not be my favorite thing to do I value how important education is.

Compared to some people I haven’t been in school as long as they have. I am only a sophomore at Fayetteville Manlius high school but I feel as though I have experienced enough to the point that I understand how significant it is to my future.

When I say school is the most influential thing in your childhood, I’m not only talking about the grades your get, whether you make honor roll or not or whether you are taking SUPA, AP, Honors or Regents. What I mean is that your surroundings during you time of education are pleasant such as the friends you make, events that take place during your high school years and even your relationship with teachers.

I believe friends and school should be at the top of everyone priorities, they are what help you get through life. You meet your friends at school and they are what influence you (or drive you away from) doing better in school. They will still be there when you fail a test, and there to congratulate you if you do well on a test and therefore, making you want to try harder to do even better.

Events that happened during your time at your school may affect your outlook on life good and bad. Last year a very tragic event happened at this school. Two seniors decided to cut class and go for a joy ride. There had always been a hang out spot at the bottom the quarry near our school however, the bridge that lead to that hangout had been blown up a few weeks before. The boys tragically fell to their deaths leaving the whole school in mourning. An event like this is difficult to remember but it’s impossible to forget. It shapes your life whether you want it to or not.

Another event that has happened near the beginning of the school year was a cheating scandal that has put a mark on the school of Fayetteville Manlius. Six boys decided to steal a password from a computer teaching assistant and use it to access the schools main frame in order to changes their grades as well as cheat on tests such as AP exams and even the SAT’s. This event left a mark on all of us.

In spite of of whether the events that took place during your time in grade school were good or bad you know that you will have to make the best of those situations. What happens in high school will shape your life forever. You must be able to react to these situations and make the best of them and learn from them. I believe your high school years are the best years of your life and that this education is extremely significant