Krista - Cass City, Michigan

Have the Windows Down and Music Up Loud: Enjoy the Road of Leadership

Life is a journey. A never ending road that is sometimes straight and sometimes winding, sometimes paved and sometimes full of rocks. The short cuts sometimes turn out to be the “long cuts” and getting lost is inevitable. But I believe that it’s not about the final destination; it’s about how you get there…so why not roll down the windows, crank up the music, and enjoy your ride?

Life is not about being the best, being on top, or being charge. It’s not about caring what other people think and preventing your true self from escaping because fear of what others might say. Who cares if someone sees you singing and banging on the steering wheel at the stoplight? To lead, you have to discover who you are on the inside…to listen to your inner self. You know the one. That voice trying to be heard amongst the chaos in your head…the one trying to break free in true expression. It’s about opening the doors and setting yourself free. Discovering and doing what makes you not just happy, but joyful! To do this you have to discover and use every part of you. The strengths and the weaknesses. Give it your all every time.

My core being, my lifeline to self-fulfillment stems from my faith in God and becoming the woman he wants me to be. I think God has given me the necessary talents to lead in a unique way. I’m not an aggressor who needs to lead, leadership almost always finds me. It comes from my concern for people along with for the task at hand. I have a certain confidence, not pride, about me that draws people to my ideas. I make decisions with the certainty that I’m making the right choice and people notice that. Once I’m involved, I become fully committed to the task at hand. If you can’t pull a U-turn, why not hit the accelerator and enjoy the ride?

I try to make it apparent in my every day life that God is my source of strength. Through the words I speak, my positive outlook on life, and the way I treat others, I hope that people see Jesus in me. Being in a leadership position makes your actions more noticed by others, therefore creating the opportunity to be an example. Through the journey of life I have realized that I need to be who I am. God made me just the way he wanted, and I shouldn’t be ashamed of who that is. Each experience is a learning process. Each moment develops more of who I am. I love this path I travel every day. It’s not always easy and I often lose my way. I become unhappy with my appearance, discouraged in my school work, and feel that I can’t do anything right. But in times like this I turn to God as my compass to get me back on track and I continue on this beautiful road called life.