Jeremy - Russellville, Kentucky
Themes: race

Racism, by definition, is a belief that some races by nature are superior to others. Although its days of dominating existence were mostly in the 60’s, it still exists today. I believe a big reason for the existence today is because of people’s attitudes and choice of words. There is no superior race or religion. I also believe racially committed crimes should accompany a hefty penalty.

Socially, racism exists because people like to throw around the pronoun “we” to indicate a race instead of identifying beings. Also most of the time people segregate to a group they feel most comfortable. I’d say nine out of ten times, you would see color separated at sporting events or big social gatherings. If people were more open minded about who they hung out with, it would not look so isolated in sections. One white guy should not look out of place with a group of black guys, but he does, doesn’t he?

It’s also very annoying that race has to be highlighted in the entertainment business. For instance, BET stands for “Black Entertainment.” That’s bogus. I’m white and I watch it. CMT doesn’t stand for “White Entertainment.” If it did, there would definitely be uproar about it. The Spanish channel is called the “Spanish channel.” At the award’s show on BET, it’s a normal expedition to see rapper accept an award, give

thanks to God, and then make reference to being a successful black person. Why?

Another example of public entertainment is the radio. For some reason it’s assumed that if the station is hosted by black dj’s, then the listeners are all black. For instance, the other day on 101.1, a survey was conducted asking basically if it is okay for the black religious leaders, who are taught to uphold Christianity and forgiveness, to act the way that they do. People were calling in trying to justify these disrespectful actions in terms of relation to the days of slavery. Nine out of ten of these callers, probably weren’t even born back in those days.

Racism is stupid. It exists in many different forms. People need to just become color blind when it comes to skin. It still exists for the simple reason that people choose for it to, by their actions. Then these are the same people that turn around and say, “Huh, wonder why racism is still around.” Well, “we” is a pronoun used of a group that includes the speaker or writer, not necessarily intended to diverge by race.