carol - Chas., South Carolina

I believe in the wit and wisdom of my dad, Allan A. Glatthorn, an educator, philosopher, witer and tinkerer. He was a jack of all hobbies and master of puns. Beofre he died, he shared his wit and wisdom with family and friends in a collection called “Unpublished Thoughts.” A lot of what I beleive comes from this.

I beleive in the end, families are about love and support. From “Glatthorn Family Beatitudes,” ‘Blessed are those who do not keep score for all are winners in a loving family’ and ” The journey of life is a lonely and painful one. We walk it best with a loving family at our side.”

I beleive in laughing out loud,laughing often, laughing at life and oneself. Whe my brother and sister and I were young, avid televsion-watchers, he inadvertantly would interupt the show to ask us “How does it all end out?” (much to our dismay) Before he died, he wrote a comic epitaph for his tombstone that reads, ” Here lies Allan resolved of doubt-He now knows how it all ends out.” And his two selections on humor and poetry read, “Well, I tried.”

I believe in a Transcendent Spirit within everyone of us, who loves us all equally. From “Crdeo”, “It does not matter where we kneel to worship. It matters more where we stand to fight.’ And ‘Life is unfair. Perhaps I am here to add a modicum of justice.’

I beleive in the value of inner peace, the need for quiet meditation in our busy, noisy world. From his “A Prayer for Inner Peace”-“Grant me the courage to trust in human love and deepen my faith in Your spirit that lies beyond this troubled world. And then I will walk again in the way of peace.’ And from “Waiting”- “No word. No message from the heavens. No voice-except my own- inside my head. No miracle of revelation. Except I’m listening. That’s miracle enough.”

And finally I beleive that although getting old is no fun, we can look at life’s glass as half full. From “Old Age:The years of Rusty Metal”-“They told you that old age is the golden period of your life. They lied. You know there is not much gold in it. Most of it is rusty metal.” And” Just remember, you have a choice. You can poison the air with your whining and complaining. Or you can grit your teeth and say with true conviction…I have places of strength that the misery cannot touch. I am bigger than my aches and pains. I am more than an ailing body. And if I need to cry, I will cry in the dark where no one can hear me.”

And he did.