Heather - Fort Worth, Texas
Themes: pleasure

It is 7:37 p.m. on a Tuesday night in late July, and I am proudly wearing my “real Heather” smile. Life could not possibly get better than this moment. Yes, my tan line is horrid (and to add to that, I am wearing a strapless dress), my hair reeks of saltwater (and looks like a mop), but I am here, in my element, for the first time in a long time. I am here. As I dance under the star-lit sky at the outdoor pavilion with my brother to a beachy rendition of “Mustang Sally”, I see many still portraits around me of indisputable, untouchable, love. Grant, the 10-year-old love of my life (my Aunt Beverly’s son) is attempting to slow dance with me, while falling asleep on my shoulder. Snap. My mom and her 3 best friends are barefoot at the front of the stage, swaying to James Taylor’s “Mexico”, all linked arm-in-arm, singing at the top of their lungs, while somehow all keeping a half-full wine glass in tact. Snap. I glance to my left, and see my dad and godfather, Joe, laughing hysterically together (like the pee your pants laugh), without a care in the world. Snap. Later that evening, we all traveled back to my family’s home, because, if you know the Hollingsworth Clan, the party was just beginning. Let’s just say that we all (and by all, I mean 3 full families) danced to Brickhouse, the Wicked Soundtrack, and most importantly, the “Everyone Move like a Dinosaur” song (and yes, everyone moved like a dinosaur) in my kitchen for 3 hours. Snap. Folding chairs were brought down to the beach around 1 a.m. by all of the mothers/daughters, (in our pajamas I might add), where stories of past memories were shared, along with producing new ones. Snap. But it wasn’t even the element of this noise that I remember most vividly- it was quite the opposite. The silent, unspoken, but ever so present love in this place was out of control, and bursting at every seam. Thinking back, it was like I was frozen in a movie scene, where everyone else is still, but I can move around. You see, I believe in the power of the human relationship. I believe that the human relationship both personally and professionally can influence greatly the biggest decisions we are faced to make in life. Events like described above work in tandem to improve and shape the ever-growing knowledge base for my future in social work. This particular night had nothing to do with the surroundings placed in my sight, but the people who accompanied me. I believe that the “magical” moments in life do not involve tangible, material, or physical objects- they involve unspoken trust; unmovable love; and genuine, authentic happiness. I believe in the ability to live a late July Tuesday night everyday. This I believe.