Samuek - Muncy, Pennsylvania
Themes: respect

This I believe: Honor

I believe in a higher way of life, a life were people treat each other as they would want to be treated and more. The word I am looking for is honor, but it seems like everyone today has no idea what the word means. Well, to most people the word has different meanings, none of them correct to the next person. My idea of honor is that to respect someone and to love a person go hand-in-hand. That putting a person before you is better than the ultimate goal, whatever that may be. I believe that when you have a perfect shot in a game of airsoft, a shot in the back, that it is more honorable to let them go than to shoot them. Actually I make a kissing sound and wait for them to turn around before I shoot them. Honor goes so deep that it can be construed as love. As I look at my college, I see a general lack of honor as people are constantly trampling over each other to get ahead in life. I see friends being talked about behind their backs and I see that most do not care

Some friends and I were playing a video game one night when a close friend, Alex, shouted that I had no honor since I shot him in the back. That statement made me stop and realize how much I had strayed from my own code of honor and how much I needed to make up for. My own sense of honor runs deep in my blood and can sometimes cause me to do some strange stuff in the eyes of others. I have given flowers to girls I do not find I like romantically, but simply because they were hurting and just needed someone to be there for them. Honor for me means walking a friend back to her dorm room even though it is 19 out and her dorm is across campus from mine. Honor is obeying your parents and listening to your elders while giving respect to them. Honor is jumping on a hand grenade for the rest of your company’s sake. I believe in an honor that had our boys train up as men and become soldiers so that they could go fight an unthinkable war. I believe that honor kept those boys fighting and doing the impossible in World War II. My personal hero for World War II is Field Marshall Rommel who exhibited honor throughout the war. He once got lost in battle and came up upon enemy lines. He stopped, asked what medical help they needed, and went and got it for them. Although he was German, he helped his enemies when they needed it and treated them with respect and honor. If even the enemy can exhibit honor in their greatest time of need, than why aren’t we showing it in everyday life?