Ian - York, Pennsylvania

I believe in sporadic movie moments. I think that if you want to the chase the woman you love all the way to airport, go for it. The same goes for standing up to the immature bully at school. This is because we rarely get the chance to make life worthwhile and exciting. Therefore, when given the opportunity, I believe in doing things for no apparent reason. For, it is in these moments that we truly discover how liberating life can be.

Nothing encompasses this notion better than movies. So often I find myself wishing that I lived within the pages of the script. Although irregular, it allows an avenue in which I can escape this world. Not that I think that this world needs escaping. It’s just that I like embracing the freedom of acting impulsively –to swear profusely at my boss right before I quit, to jump off a building and still be able to survive. I find comfort in knowing that I am capable of anything.

For me, reality is overrated. Very rarely do people conjure up the courage to do something bold like in the movies, such as objecting in the middle of your best friend’s wedding. This is because people like to rationalize their way through life, something I try to refrain from doing. Without spontaneity, life becomes bland. There’s no thrill. In this sense, we need to learn to be more spur-of-the-moment from the memorable characters that we see in films.

I live for sporadic moments. I consider it an art. And, sometimes, when I’m driving in my car, I scream at the top of my lungs, just because. Other times, my roommate and I will swordfight with plastic bats, imitating Jedi movements. What’s more, I don’t do these things because I’m abnormal or strange. I do these things because I simply enjoy living – living for the sake of living.

Lastly, I look forward to these unpredictable moments – finding those tiny little windows of opportunity that are, more times than not, invisible unless we’re squinting. This is because some of the most remarkable riches in life stem from an act of impulse, such as finding the person that you will spend the rest of your life with. To say the least, I believe that’s worth squinting for. So my advice is simply this: Treat each moment as if it were your last. Savor it, and live it out – just like in the movies.