Sarah - Fayetteville, New York

I believe that everyone deserves a second chance in life, to make up for their mistakes and to better themselves, and their future.

I have been alive for more then 15 years and I have experienced many mistakes throughout my life time, and continue to make mistakes to this day. There are many mistakes that I wish never happened, but I’m happy they did, because I am a better person today then I was yesterday. I take all my mistakes as a learning experience and I learn from my wrong doing, to better myself.

When I was younger, I told my mom I was one place when I was really at a different place. I lied about it. Of course my mom found out that I lied. I got in trouble. And my mom had a hard time trusting me for awhile. But soon after I gained her trust back, by telling her the truth, and where I was going. I had to show my mom that she could trust me. It was hard, but finally she did from my actions, and my actions speak louder then words.

If my mom never let me make up for my mistake, I would be a different person today, then I am now. Even though it was a hard time, and I was in trouble, looking back at it I really do appreciate it. It made me open my eyes and see what I did was wrong. I learned a lot from lying to my mom. I grew as a person, and I have better myself through the experience.

Getting a second chance really helped me understand what I did, and where my mom was coming from in the situation. At first I didn’t realize but soon after, I noticed that she wasn’t mad at me for not telling her where I was, she was upset. Something bad could have happened, and my mom wouldn’t know where I was. I learned what I did was wrong, and I figured out ways to change it, and so it would never happened again. And to this day I always tell my mom the truth.

I think if I didn’t have a second chance, I would continue to make the same mistakes over and over again. I would never learn from what I did, I would just keep repeating the past. And you can’t grow from repeating things that already happen, you need to grow from it. That’s why everyone deserves a second chance to change their actions, and overall influence themselves to be better then what they are. Everyone makes mistakes, its part of life, but instead of running from it, take that mistake and use it to your advantage.

I am guaranteed that I will still make mistakes in my life time. But instead of running from it, and dwelling in the past, I will use that mistake, learn from it, and become a better person. With every mistake I make comes a chance to better my future and grow. I believe in second chances.