Joe - Millersburg, Ohio

Kind Words Will Make a Difference

As a young boy I dreamed of being the best at playing ball. I would be great and hit the ball farther than anyone else. But in school I was always the last one to be picked for playing sports, because I was not very athletic. Because of this, I always ended up being the brunt of the jokes. “He is lucky if he makes it to first base,” was one of the things the other players often say. Some of the players would roll the ball to me so I would be able to stop it. These jokes always haunted me when I was up to bat. I ended hating the ball games, unlike most American kids. The whole concept of being a worthless person was deeply ingrained into the rest of my life. I thought I would never amount to anything.

My way of dealing with these thoughts and putting them on the back burner was to go into my dad’s wood-shop and spend hours building simple, little, woodcrafts or toys. By the time I was in my middle teenage years I had developed exceptional woodworking skills. Some people started seeing this and complimented me. For one of the first times in my life I felt like I could do something right. A few words of encouragement added a lot of confidence to my life. I started thinking that maybe God had created me with special gifts other than playing ball or any of the other sports that I wanted to be good at.

Some of the lessons that I learned though this include; just because I am not as good at something as I would like to be, does not mean I am a worthless person. I very strongly believe that words can have a huge impact on a young person’s life, either positive or negative. God has created each person with unique talents and is to be respected for who he is. A few kind words can make the world of a difference in a hurting person’s life.