Phillip - bremerton, Washington

I believe that English (class) is an evil entity that spawned from the depths of hell. Why do I believe this so? It’s because of the unbelievable mass amount of work students do in one quarter. They are bombarded with grammar work everyday, subdued with merciless amounts of essay writing, and all because of the malevolence of the English teacher!

To me, English class is like a hungry killer kitty playing with its prey. First, it’s all easy and happy-go-lucky days where the work is fine and easy. Then it’s the time when the cat gets ready to pounce on it quarry. The grammar work gets harder and more confusing by the minute. There are all these parallelisms, pronunciations, sentence splicing and fused sentences…I don’t even know what half of these means! And when I thought it was all over (seeing that the quarter was coming close to and end,) I was barraged with five-hundred freaking pages of grammar work!

Oh how merciless English classes can be. There isn’t just fierce grammar work; there are those three page essays…The best essay I’ve ever written in class is only two full pages long. And no matter how hard I tried, I can never get more than two and a half pages long. I only did one three page essay, but that was a narration, so that one was easy. The only way I could spare three pages, was putting some bull how essays are evil. That’s how I ended up writing this essay. I just can see how any human being can write more than three pages. They must have superhuman abilities. The only writing I can do well is on poems.

In the end, I know that all this work is good for me, regardless of how evil it seems. English classes are what helps us succeed in writing, even if it’s just a letter you your relative from far away, or something else important. Or maybe there is another reason, but I cannot think of it. I still wonder why I need to take English classes, when I can speak English pretty well. But English is just like life—it’s all hard work and can be a bitch. If I had learned anything from the class, it would be that hard work does pay off; you just need to be persistent and just keep going and never look back.