K-9 Soul

Aimi - Florence, Alabama

I believe dogs have souls. If anything has a soul, it can feel happiness, sorrow, empathy, anger, fear, and above all, love.

When I was young, I never had to beg my parents to have a pet because someone in my family always brought animals home?it was my Dad. He often found abandoned puppies somewhere and named them after Japanese cars. The first puppy he ever brought, when I was five, was a white female mutt with pointed ears. My Dad named her Nissan Sunny. Sunny was skinny and was afraid of everyone who tried to pet her. “She might have been abused,” my Dad said. “Why do people do that?” I asked. Looking at Sunny, he told us that some people mistreat dogs because they don’t believe dogs have souls. But, Sunny wasn’t soulless creature. If I scolded her, her tail curled up between legs showing fear. When I came home from school, she ran around me showing affection. If I cried, she licked my face trying to cheer me up. If she was soulless, she never would have done it. Three years later, my Dad found a female Collie, which was also abandoned. He named her Toyota Chaser. She had white and brown hair that was so smooth that felt like silk. Chaser was such a lady. She never devoured her food, but ate little by little. Every night, she gathered all the toys scattering across our backyard and put them in her doghouse and went to sleep. Whenever my brothers and I didn’t clean our rooms, my Mom said Chaser was her only well-mannered child. Shortly after Chaser’s arrival, Sunny was adopted by my grandfather. We could still see Sunny because grandpa lived a few blocks away, but Chaser missed her. For Chaser, Sunny was the mom she never had. Time passed and Chaser got sick when she was 10. I was 18. When my Mom and I took her to the veterinarian, she couldn’t even walk. The doctor said she was senile. After all, she was 65 in dog years. Chaser had to stay at the hospital that night, so we left. At 5 a.m. next day, we all woke up because we heard Chaser bark a few times in our backyard. It was impossible since she was at the hospital, but it all made sense when we got a phone call that Chaser had passed away at 5 a.m. that morning. My mom said that Chaser’s soul came to us to say goodbye before she went to heaven. I believed Chaser did because I heard her. I wasn’t dreaming. In the 21 years of my life so far, I met twelve dogs that were saved by my Dad. Some of them stayed at our house and some of them adopted by other families. But all had souls. And I believe my Dad saw the canine souls in each one of the puppies whenever he found them.