“Work Hard, Tell the Truth”

Mary - Iuka, Mississippi
Themes: work

“Work hard, tell the truth,” that is my father’s motto. He lives by these five simple words and advises everyone else to do the same. As far back as I can remember, my father has always worked harder than anyone else I know. Coming home sweaty, dirty and exhausted, he never complains and always goes to work the next day with a smile on his face. I asked him once why he felt it so important to work as hard as he did. He wisely replied, “you will never get anywhere in life by just sitting around, and no one will ever respect you for being lazy.” It took me some time to learn this lesson, but I now realize the truth in his words.

I believe in hard work. I believe in sweat and calluses. I believe in getting your hands dirty. I believe the best way to build a person’s character is to put a tool in their hands and tell them to go to work. Hard work teaches a person lessons that are hard to come by otherwise. Some people strive their whole lives to learn the virtues that hard work can teach. Hard work teaches humility. It teaches patience, diligence and self-reliance. And hard work teaches a person appreciation, not only for their own work, but also for the hard work of others.

From my own experience, I have come to see that the harder I work to achieve a goal, the more I am relied upon and the more I am respected. My father’s lessons have helped me to become a better person and also a better worker. I better understand the value of hard work and how my work can be a benefit to others. I believe that my father’s motto is the best advice I have ever had.