Office Ethos

Jessica - Muscle Shoals, Alabama

I believe in the moral and ethical lessons you can learn from watching The Office. The characters are so driven and motivated that everyone can look to them for advice on how to excel in the workplace.

Take Dwight Shrute for example. He proves that determination will lead you to higher positions in the office. When vying for new customers, Dwight offers every imaginable service to them. “Here’s my card,” he said. “It’s got my cell number, my pager number, my home number, and my other pager number. I never take vacations, I never get sick, and I don’t celebrate any major holidays.”

Morality and character walk hand-in-hand. Regional manager Michael Scott strives daily to uphold his reputation and maintain strength in his character. He gives a moving tribute of a former teacher that he holds in high esteem. “A boss is like a teacher. And I am like the cool teacher. Like Mr. Handell. Mr. Handell would hang out with us. And he would tell us awesome jokes. And he actually hooked up with one of the students. Um, and then like twelve other kids came forward. It was in all the papers. Really ruined eighth grade for us.”

Initiative will also take you far in your goals. Kevin keeps his perspective everyday. “I would so rather be in prison right now.”

In order to be successful in any walk of life, you need to have sympathy for others. Toby is the quietest member in the office, and arguably the most compassionate. When Dwight came to him with his innermost questions about life, he supplied him with an honest and sincere answer. “Technically, I am in Human Resources, and Dwight was asking me about human anatomy. Um… I’m just sad that the public school system failed him so badly.”

Finally, The Office teaches the values and rewards of willpower. Meredith is a sometimes-struggling alcoholic and her drive and desire to change makes her the strong person that she is today. She makes goals that seem attainable to her and she shoots for the stars. “For my New Year’s resolution,” she said, “I gave up drinking… during the week.”

The ethos that you can attain from watching a half-hour episode of The Office are lessons that you can apply to your every day life. They will strengthen your character and make you more productive in the workplace. And let’s be honest– at the end of the day, that’s what life is all about.