Thought For the Day

Brittany - Florence, Alabama

I believe in the simple thought. The power of a simple thought can change your life forever. A thought means more to me than any piece of jewelry, any article of clothing, or any pair of shoes. To me, the fact that someone actually thought about me is the greatest gift of all.

I believe a thought can heal all wounds. I believe if someone is having a bad day, I can smile at them and their day will suddenly become miraculous. It’s the thought that counts. A thought is priceless. It doesn’t require a down payment. You don’t have to make monthly payments. It is simply inexpensive. A thought is simple. A thought is thoughtful, bringing sunshine into anyone’s day.

I believe the simple thought should be practiced most at Christmas. I believe in putting a dollar in the red tin outside Wal-Mart and Books-A-Million. This may not be much, but, after all, it’s the thought that counts. My mother, on the other hand, doesn’t believe in this. She doesn’t believe in putting a dollar in the red tin. She tells me I shouldn’t support any organization that makes less-fortunate people buy things. If someone is in need, the organization should give to them, not charge them. I say, “The dollar you give helps that one person in need be it a child, an adult, or an elder. Our family has it made, and we’re lucky. We’re buying laptops while other families can’t even afford to buy shoes or a coat. It’s Christmas and if everyone on Earth thought the way you did, it would be a heck of a place to live.” So I put a dollar in the tin. I ignored my mother’s look of anger and I didn’t care what she thought. I was doing a good deed. I was thinking of others besides myself. I was spreading Christmas cheer. I was hoping that someone saw what I did and thought to themselves that they should do the same thing.

A simple thought works like a chain reaction. Monkey see, monkey do. That’s how it usually works. If my thoughtful deed influences someone else for the day it makes me smile. It’s the little things that matter in life.

So here’s a thought for the day. It doesn’t take much. A dollar donation in the red tin, a smile of thanks, or a simple wave so someone knows it’s ok for them to merge in front of you during rush hour. If I can think one simple thought and make it happen, I can make someone smile. Maybe even make them appreciate the simple things. It’s a wonderful feeling. It’s the thought that counts and this I believe.