Jason - Gig Harbor, Washington

Jason Azizeh

English 99

Credo Outline

Overcoming Shyness

I believe in overcoming shyness. In elementary and middle school I was quiet nearly all the time. However, as high school came around I started to get involved with my school and began meeting people, but I still struggled with shyness. I have always been wondering what causes me to be shy; I think it comes with the experience of being quiet for most of my life. I believe it comes with experience of being quiet almost all the time. However, I have found solutions to overthrow the burden of being shy. Hopefully, in the future, other shy people will overcome this timid condition.

Throughout elementary and middle school, I was that kid who would sit in the back of the classroom. I would stay entirely silent until the end of class and sit at lunch by myself. Everyday I went to school; I counted down the hours to when I would be going home. While attending school, I was wondering what people were thinking about whenever they looked at me; I always asked myself, did they like me or did they hate me? As I walked through the halls, I kept my head down as I was sneaking to my next class. Elementary and middle school was a period of my life where I had my struggles with shyness and couldn’t hold a conversation with anybody.

On the other hand, high school was a time in my life where I overcame most of my shyness. Through high school, I got a job filming for the varsity football and basketball teams at Gig Harbor High School. I met the players of both teams and developed a great relationship with them. Throughout my four years, I was astounded by how many friends I made; and because of meeting people, I have developed a great personality. High school was the time of my life where I finally conquered my own disability.

Though there are ways to overcome shyness. One advice is to get involved with an extracurricular activity at your school. Also, meet people and invite them to hang out or come over to your house. To avoid shyness in a classroom, try to meet as many people as you can and get to know them; that way you won’t be nervous when you go up to do a presentation because you’ll know most of the students in the class. Always keep your head up while you’re walking down the halls of school and participate in any small activity that is promoted from the student presidents. Finally, help others to get involved so that you can make more friends.

I believe there ways to overcome this barrier called shyness. From my experience of elementary and middle school, I have found out a lot about shyness. I also think that any student can overcome being shy. Hopefully, students in school and people in society (that are shy) will climb over the fence of shyness.