Nathan - Manlius, New York

Nathan Sauer

10Honors Period 5

I believe that it is important to lead a healthy lifestyle.

Back when I was a child, although I did not directly know it, my parents always kept my brother and I healthy. Growing up, we would always complain about how we couldn’t eat this or about how we did do that. My parents however, always had an answer to our constant complaints. My parents also kept us away from all the harms of being overweight and lazy. I was always active in a sport, and I was involved in some type of creative exercise activity every single day.

My parents were always normal civilians living in America. They both came from different origins but somehow both ended up in Chicago. They were never really guided through out their childhoods and they were intelligent enough to learn from their own life experiences. They were then beginning to understand the value of healthiness and the disaster of laziness that can interject into a lifestyle. They then passed their knowledge on to my brother and I from generation to generation. They always enforced their policies into my life and made sure that their responsibility was leading a healthy lifestyle.

One thing that really kept me healthy, out of trouble, and feeling good was food. It means a lot what type of food you eat. There are not people who dedicate their lives to food and eating just because it’s fun. No, there are people who have become experts on food because it matters and it is a huge part of what we do every single day on a consistent basis. The food pyramid was created because some people know that it is extremely important to watch what we eat and how much of it we eat. A normal person is supposed to eat grains, dairy, fruit, vegetables, and meat. There is also a reason why fats and oils are at the top of that pyramid. It’s because we are barely supposed to eat them! The average American eats at least 2 times the fats they should. My family being generally fit is included in that, don’t get me wrong. I eat way more sweets than I probably should, but the key is not overdoing it.

You should always get some type of exercise every day which I almost always do. That is the balance you need to maintain a diet like that, you have to be aware of your surroundings which is definitely something that America is not very good at. Something America is good at however is assimilating all types of people into their culture and ways of doing things. This happens very often between religion, economy, and now healthiness and food consumption. There have been studies done to prove that America is the fattest country on the face of the planet. The average American eats fast food at least two times a week. This is something that my family has stayed clear away from that turned out to help us in the long run.

Presently, I am a 15 year old sophomore in high school. Now, I fully understand what it means to be healthy. Despite my frequent whines and complaints in my childhood, I am extremely glad and thankful to have been kept healthy. I will be sure to pass what I learned from my parents down through the generations to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I will not make the same mistakes as other Americans choosing the wrong path and becoming unhealthy. This is why being healthy is so important to your entire lifestyle. This I believe.