Matthew - Savoonga, Alaska

I believe in standing up for yourself. I remember the day as if the years had faded away. Sitting on the swings in grade school listening to the gifted children, of course I was not one of them, yell at the less than average ones. “Your stupid!” “Ha, Ha, Ha, we get to leave school one day a week!” “Dork Patrol, Dorks, Geeks!” these were their words. I normally did not speak up for myself or make my presence known.

In elementary school gifted meant popular, who would of thought years later the gifted kids would simply became the popular ones. As it is in most kid’s lives I lived on the outside of the bubble of popularity and coolness. I was a quiet one, a dreaded quiet one. I normally did not speak up for myself or make my presence known. My greatest dream in school was to be the first one out the door, never looking back. Yes, I liked learning I just did not like anything else that goes on in school.

This day was like in a movie, my rage was growing inside of myself as I listened to the words that were so educationally coming out of the gifted and popular kids mouths. No I did not go all Bruce Lee or Matrix. I just kept listening till I could take it no more. I felt everything freeze and focus was on me and my singular and proud voice ready to erase all the hate I was feeling inside.

I got up off the swings and yelled at the tormenters; “Hey you have no right to yell at these people, so what if they are not as smart or popular as you! They are people too, so it is not fair what you are doing. “ After I had finished my speech and stepped down from my soap box, I could feel the motion come back to the world and the sounds were once again of the playground and highway near by. Did it stop the tourment, suprisingling, no, but hey, I said what I felt and I felt better. Did I have a movie moment were the rest of it was good; no I had a real life moment. I stood up for myself and moved on. Was I the popular one now, of course not, but hey I felt good and maybe I affected someone. This day changed me forever, I won’t say I became an outspoken person who protests or does commentary on talk radio, but I do let my voice be heard even if it is in font of the bathroom mirror. This day will be one I will always remember as the time I got off the swings and let my opinion fly in the face of the popular ones.